Tuesday, April 24, 2012

[Monster Party Fractions] FREE game

My littles are pretty good at seeing fractional parts within geometric shapes.
They are, however, struggling to say the fraction that matches a group of objects. . .ie: 2 out of 3 are colored, so that is 2/3.
(I KNOW that 2/3 is NOT in our first grade core, but seriously, it's okay to practice it anyway, right?!).

This little Monster Party Game came about because of that need.
Easy to play - each little needs something to mark their space.  Everyone starts on the star.  The first little chooses a card (you'll need to make 3-4 sets of the monster cards), reads the sentence, looks at the picture, and says the correct fraction.  If he says the correct fraction, he moves clockwise to that fraction on the gameboard.  Play continues with the next player.  Players circle each level until they choose a MONSTER PARTY card at which point, that player moves to the closest MONSTER PARTY space and slides into the next level.  If a student lands on a space occupied by another player, she sends that player back to the star (OR. . .you can have them skip over that player and go to the next available space depending on the sensitivity of your kiddos).

I did make a 2 out of 2 card - I want my littles to start realizing that 2/2 = 1.

Clip art for this game (super adorable, right?!) is from Cre8tive Hands.
Go check out her blog - she has some awesome free clip art and is super generous with her copyright!



Image is linked.  Take it, love it, pin it, use it, you know the drill.  :)

Thanks for stopping by, and HAPPY TUESDAY!
(It's a furlough day I'm spending the day loving being with my kids - bike riding, baking, and having a great time!)

25 comments:

  1. Love your ideas and this game is a star!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AWESOME! We are reviewing fractions right now & my first graders will love it! Keep the morning activities coming too. Love them also. Do you use Smartboard?
    Thanks, Jackie
    jackie@acsnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. AW, I love the graphics!! I must share this with my neighbor teacher, she loves monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this post is a year old, but I would love this game for centers. When I click on it, it gives e an error. Is there something I can do to get it?

    Thanks,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'll send me your email address, I'll send it to you.

      Delete
  5. I would love to know if you are willing to offer this again. I would love to download it, but the link doesn't work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'll send me your email address, I'll send it to you.

      Delete
  6. Hi as above posters have commented are you willing to offer this game again? I would love to use it within my own class and to help out my own daughter.
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'll send me your email address, I'll send it to you.

      Delete
  7. Might I have this as a doc? sthoma1@tacoma.k12.wa.us

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    I know this was posted like two years ago but I was wondering if I can still get the material! My email is koeun.lee.45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I would also love this game if you're still willing to email it out! I'm putting together instructional toolboxes surrounding fractions for some of our local students and I think this would be a wonderful addition. wrayse@gmail.com

      Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Hey! would love this game also. my email is c3143113@uon.edu.au
    thanks heaps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there anyway I could get this game too? jamie.alexander@nn.k12.va.us

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Can you please email it to me? brittney.leneave@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love this game too if it's possible? sophieruddell@hotmail.com X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to use this with my kiddos! I'm always looking for fun ways to teach my students! h_anderson27@yahoo.com

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love this game please!
    cmccartney@sdale.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hallo! Can I also get this game? Thanks. :o)
    vaskova.lu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to have this if you are willing to email :)

    Thanks so much!

    petersenkeri23@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would like to have this too please.
    Thanks so much!

    mars005@aol.com

    ReplyDelete