Thursday, August 4, 2011

[number writing fluency] great practice

I don't know about you, but I have a lot of first graders come into my classroom needing a bit of extra help remembering how to write their numbers.  They also need some practice writing their numbers quickly and legibly!
Each day for the first few weeks of school (at least the first 10), I've done this sheet with my class.  The kids LOVE to race against their best effort from the previous day and really do get faster at writing their numbers correctly! 
The top section is the practice section.  In the beginning we do this together as I model on the board.  Then we move into guided practice as I say out loud the steps for writing each number.  Towards the end of the practice days, I set the timer for 2 minutes and have the students complete this section independently.
The bottom section is a timed assessment of sorts where they have one minute to trace each number and then write it neatly and correctly on the line below.  What I've found is that by doing this, when I introduce the timed math drills (we use Otter Creek and begin administering them as soon as we feel the students are ready -- I generally start "A" with all students the first day we start addition in our enVision math program), the students quickly adapt their new number writing fluency to writing the answers to addition problems.
If this is something you can use, please download it and enjoy.  The fonts are from Fonts4Teachers.  I use these fonts ALL THE TIME!!  Please do not claim ownership of this practice sheet.  Please do not share the actual file.  Directing your friends here to download the file themselves is preferred.  If you take this, please leave a comment.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I sooo need this for my 3rd graders. How can I adapt it for sentences since I just learned that 3rd graders need to be copying at a rate of 8 words/minute?

    ReplyDelete