Wednesday, May 2, 2012

[Higher Order Thinking] questions to ask when teaching

This year one of my goals has been to really get my littles to dig into the instruction I give and take out of it every.single.thing they can.
One way to do this is by asking them very specific questions that lead them into a higher level of thinking and reasoning.
I have to admit that I was stuck on asking the same, "WHY?" and "WHAT ELSE?" questions until one of my math endorsement teachers gave us a list of H.O.T. questions he had compiled from a state sponsored workshop.
I formatted the questions to fit address labels, printed them, and have them handy with my instructional materials so when I hear myself slip back to the same.old.questioning.techniques, I pull these out and use one or two off the list.
Some are best used over the course of instruction.
Others are best used when students are "stuck" - either with understanding or computation.

Ideally, I'd have them on cardstock, laminated, hole punched, and on a ring, but that hasn't happened yet.
Remember my friends laziness and procrastination?
Yep, been hanging out with them again.  :)

Anyway.  The image is linked to the pdf file - set to print on address labels.
2 sheets.  80 questions or so.
Give it a try if you're looking for a way to increase student learning/reasoning/discussion.
Let me know how it works for you.

And now, I really must get ready for school.
I'd rather crawl back into bed. . .

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't use too many of these questions with your kids, my friend, or they'll start saying to you what my family says to me! "STOP teachering me!!" lol.

      Delete
  2. I also have so much material waiting to be laminated. We seem to have the same two friends :-)
    Anyway, thanks a lot!
    These are great!

    Greetings,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to kick these friends out of my house, lol.

      Delete
  3. I love this! Thanks for sharing!

    I am your newest follower, I hope you will check out my blog!
    Dana
    www.funin1stgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be by to check out your blog tonight! I love finding new friends! :)

      Welcome to My Little Classity Class!

      Delete
  4. What a great resource! Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks again! I'll print them tomorrow:)
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it can't wait learn more!

    ReplyDelete