Thursday, March 1, 2012

[oi, oy] The "Piggy" Diphthong Game

In our classroom, we call diphthong oi and diphthong oy the "piggy" diphthongs.
You know, because they make the same sound as OINK?!  ;)
These dipthongs tend to be tricky for my early readers (and some of my more advanced readers, too).  So. . .I came up with this little gamboard which only requires a copy of the game, a die, and something to use as a marker for each player.
The "bonus" pathways ask the player to actually tell the rule (oi comes at the beginning or in the middle, oy comes at the end).  I realize this is a generality, but it's what we teach.
Hope you can use this in your classroom.
Image is linked.
You have my permission to PIN this activity.  :)
Please leave a little thanks if you pin and/or download.
Happy Wednesday!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I teach Treasures and this is our spelling focus this week. I can't wait to put it out as a center next week. Perfect way to reinforce those skills, but they'll love that it's a game! (And I have to admit- I LOVE that it takes so little prep, too!)

    I love all your freebies! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a seusstastic week! I nominated you for an award! Come on over and get it! :)

    Michelle

    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your great ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I'm a special ed teacher for 1st grade and my kids love learning with games!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! These really are tricky and the extra help is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much!!! The kids will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much!!! The kids will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this oinkingly perfect game! This is a great way to reinforce the which diphthong goes where.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this great game. I am trying to make spelling more fun for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you! Going to use it with my 4 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much!! This is a great game that will keep the kids totally involved, with all the twists and turns in it. Thank you for your generosity in sharing this.

    ReplyDelete