Monday, July 25, 2011

[one-to-one correspondence] working on number sense

I created these little gems clear back in 2007 when I was presenting for Utah CORE Academy.  I've used them in my classroom nearly every year since then.  They are a great little tool that packs a great big punch!
On the first day of school, I call each student over to me (or have a parent volunteer do this part) and ask the students to tell me any number between 0 and 9.  I do this until each row has a number.  You don't want the numbers in order.

Run on cardstock.  Laminate before allowing the students to use them.  Trust me on this one.  ;)
We use these daily for the first 10 days of school.  Each day I pass out the strips - students do NOT get their own most days.  They think it's hilarious when they actually do get their own on accident.  I love first graders!  :)
I hand out the strips, they get a scoop of cereal, and begin to make rows of cereal in the quantity indicated on each row of the strip.  This is such a quick assessment, and it tastes great, too! 
Somewhere I have a file that has the number words in the same size as the numeral strips. . .need to find that file!
You can use these strips all year.  After the first 10 days, I put them away until we begin addition, then I break them out again.  The kids pair up, line their strips up, and add the two numbers.  We do this for a week or so.  Then the strips go in the cupboard again until we begin working on place value.  Then the strips are used to create 2 digit numbers that must be explained using expanded notation. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment