Sunday, July 10, 2011

[6+1 Traits of Writing] How it looks for a first grader. . .

I am determined to do a better job teaching my firsties how to write this year.
We've been strongly encouraged to use the 6+1 Traits of Writing in our classrooms, but every time I've tried, I've become frustrated because it seems sooooo beyond first grade understanding!  Today as I was reading through some materials, I realized that I was making this whole concept too hard for my kiddos!!  These simple charts will be posted in my classroom this year, giving the students (and ME!) a solid trail to follow as we embark on our writing journey.


I will be using some of the lessons from the book Wee Can Write as I begin the year.
If you haven't seen this book, it's a good one to take a peek at.  There are some really great ideas to help with teaching the traits.  I'm disappointed that there aren't more opportunities given for actual writing though (unless I've missed something which is completely possible!!). . .guess that's something I get to figure out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment