Sunday, April 10, 2011

{A Penny or a Dime all the way to 99}

This is an activity that I've done for several years in my classroom.
Surprisingly, even as simple as it is, the kids really enjoy it.
I usually introduce this activity when we are studying number patterns to 100 and then bring it out again when we begin our money unit as it is equally effective at practicing counting by tens/ones (dimes/pennies) as it is one more/one less, ten more/ten less.

For ease of use, I run enough for each student in my class and have them slide their own copy into a sheet protector to keep in their desks.  We often play as a whole class, sometime we play boys against girls, and sometimes they bring their sheet to a center and play there.  The copies stay good and I don't have to worry about making too many replacement copies.

Directions are on the sheet, the image is linked.
(I use a 0-99 chart as opposed to a 1-100 chart in my classroom because I prefer the way the number patterns show up on the 0-99 chart.  This activity works equally well on a regular 1-100 chart).

If you find this helpful, a comment would be nice.
Thanks!  Happy Almost Monday!  :)

4 comments:

  1. Love this game! (As always!)
    Your #1 fan,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fun! We are working on these concepts right now so this is perfect. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great - thanks! We're getting ready to start money next week, and even though I teach Second Grade, there are ALWAYS students that don't remember their coin names and values. This will really help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! My son's teacher just sent a number board home with no directions with the assignment to play this game. I didn't have a clue what the 99 chart game was. Now this can be fun instead of frustrating!

    ReplyDelete